Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Swings and round-a-bouts

As you are all aware MOTH (Man of the House) is looking for employment, and that's just hard on so many levels - I am sure you all know why, so I won't go into the details.

What is weird though is that at my job I am sitting on panels choosing people to come and work for me, all the while wishing that MOTH gets a job and feeling that maybe, just maybe if I treat these people with respect, that he too will be treated with respect.

Last week was particularly hard. MOTH received notification from the university telling him that he received a scholarship to train as a wood tech teacher. Cue excitement. He rings the Education Department and is informed which school it is that has accepted him - you can imagine the rest. Apparently he will receive the paperwork in the mail. The papers never come. (You can see where this is going can't you? If this was a movie you'd be hearing the "don't fall for it, it's a trick" music) He calls the school at this stage, and oops ... "uuuum, oooh , aaargh - we don't have any money anymore, sorry there is no longer a job."

Not only was that annoying, frustrating and blood boilingly ( I know that is not a word - but I'm using it and I know you get it) infuriating, it made the fact that he was offered another job two days previously, which he turned down thinking he had received a better offer, so bad.

And this is where the lesson lies - some people just don't think about how their actions can really make someone else's day, or life, really bad.

As I sit, listening to people tell me why I should give them a job. I listen intensely. I look for ways to employ them, and I feel so bad when I can't employ them all. But I haven't treated them badly, and that has to count for something. And surely, in the world of swings and round-a-bouts, in the world of 'see ya on the flip side' and the world of Karma, somehow the way I treat other people might just get him a job.

1 comment:

  1. Oh that does suck!

    I hope something good comes along for his real soon!

    ReplyDelete